In 1838, Sam Houston signed the deed transferring ownership of a section of land, 640 acres, to J. M. McCulloch from Petersburg, Virginia. At the time the land was in Bexar County. Boerne would be platted 12 years later and Kendall County would eventually be carved out.
This area off Old San Antonio Road in South Boerne was originally known as The British Colony, and the Howard Family, who would own the ranch from 1880 to 1943 would be avid participants in all that they, and their English families brought with them - Cricket, Polo and shooting competitions were some of their favorite sports. In fact, in an old photo of the Boerne Polo Club, at least 3 Howards are represented.
They would be happy that the stables and barn helped create a home for new family members anxious to share in all the wonderful things Boerne, and The Texan House, has to offer.